Red Roof Inn
Deploys UltiPro Business Intelligence to Transform Operations, People Management
- Capability for the first time to analyze groups of metrics together, such as quality scores, financial performance, and turnover
- Several department leaders are using analysis from business intelligence to support the company’s growth
- Enlightens conversations about potential candidates for open positions
Red Roof Inn is found in more than 500 locations across 40 U.S. states, employing almost 3,000 people and serving millions of guests each year. The company’s primary goal is to provide customers a savings without sacrificing comfort.
Prior to UltiPro, weak data collection and reporting systems prevented HR from identifying the company’s top performers, analyzing turnover, and improving the employee experience. Without the ability to run business-specific reports, HR missed opportunities to provide senior management with data-driven insights. Reporting problems were compounded by a system that recorded every employee transfer between Red Roof entities as a termination, undermining statistics about employee tenure and development. In addition, valuable performance-evaluation data was accessible only through imprecise, manual processes.
Red Roof chose UltiPro to address its business intelligence challenges, going live in January 2016.
“Real-time business intelligence has not only improved our ability to monitor employee turnover, but also to drill down into position specifics,” said Leslie Fisher, VP of HR and training at Red Roof. “This level of detail helps us learn from our top-performing groups and take action in areas with higher turnover. We also have the capability for the first time to analyze groups of metrics together, such as quality scores, financial performance, and turnover. If we see a correlation between turnover and other key metrics, we can expect an investment in the employee experience to show returns in other areas of the business.”
Red Roof’s view into its people is meaningful to the company at a corporate and individual level. For the first time, the company has insight into its employees’ work and compensation history, as well as the ability to track employee education, career interests, awards, certifications, and training.
“This centralized system of record is important because data boosts our objectivity when we evaluate employees for promotions and growth opportunities,” said Fisher. “In the HR world, we tend to focus on how we feel about an employee today rather than the employee’s track record. UltiPro enlightens our conversations about potential candidates for open positions. We are able to send reports to senior management that show the number of open positions and how long they’ve been open, and then identify the best candidates. UltiPro gives us the ability to collect and analyze business-critical data with just a couple of clicks.”
• The CFO and the Finance team make projections about the financial impact of benefits open enrollment in order to complete the company’s annual budget. Once open enrollment is completed, HR can provide reports that show the actual number of employees who migrated to new plans and the financial implications.
• The SVP of Operations is using turnover report details that include numbers, positions, and reasons to understand why turnover may be unexpectedly high in certain areas. UltiPro’s ability to capture comments from general managers helps the Operations team make data-driven business decisions.
• The Controller and the Accounting team are able to use reports from UltiPro to understand the financial impact of major organizational changes, such as the company’s move to a PTO-accrual vacation policy. Instead of having to make projections about employee hours used versus booked, the HR team is able to present the Controller with reports showing exactly how much employee PTO has been used, the company’s rate of accrual for the rest of the fiscal year, and how much requested time is still pending. The company is able to book more accurate financial information because of the increased visibility into employee activity.